X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit of the Week: Ultor - 11/30/2014

Unit of the Week
    Ultor

Overview: Tony Stark: Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist. He is Iron Man. He defends the Earth from the likes of the Mandarin, Thanos, and Ultron... Wait, wrong guy? Oh, for a second, he kinda looked like a fully decked out Iron Man. And then the name being "Ultor", and then there's Marvel's Ultron, and... No? Okay.

Ultor is a special Global-exclusive unit in a similar light as Ciara and Semira. The difference between Ultor and the Halloween lovelies, is that while the previous two units have been confirmed to received 6-star units later after their release, Ultor's 6-star is made readily available from the word "go", officially making him the first 6-star Global-exclusive unit. So are his stats and abilities something that can rival the other 6-star units spanning both JP and Global, or will he be naught but a trophy unit... with a 6-star form? Well, ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight, we dine in hell! Well, actually, we'll just dine into his stats, I guess...

Leader Skill: [Titan Aura] 50% boost to ATK and DEF, boost in damage dealt to weak elements & 15% boost to critical hit chance.

Okay, let's break down his Leader Skill, because that's just a lot to take in one go. First off, 50% to anything is pretty amazing. This gives his Leader Skill quite the versatility, being able to benefit any squad type that would benefit from him taking the Leader position. His added boost to weakness damage is also good. He's no Maxwell or Mare in this department, but at 75%, it's still nothing to really sneer at, even if it seems like more of a bonus. The 15% crit rate is appreciated. Though not a very significant number, it does bring the total crit rate for the squad to 25%, so it's certainly a nice bonus.

Now take all of that, and multiply each buff by 2 when adding an Ultor friend. That would mean 100% ATK and DEF for the whole squad, regardless of conditions, 150% for weakness damage (matching a single Mare Leader) and a total of 30% boost to weakness damage. For the latter two, combining the base buffs, that would mean:

Weakness damage: 300%
    Crit rate total: 40%

When you really think about it, that all equates to some pretty extreme damage. Nowhere near the damage potential of double Maxwell Leaders, but still potent, with the added benefit of a DEF buff.

Normal Attack: 10 hits.

Nothing particularly special about his attack. He has a total drop check of 20, which is fairly standard. His animation does have a bit of a delay in the middle of the attack, so don't expect him to produce much in the way of Sparks.

Brave Burst: [Savage Execution] Single target massive damage attack, with a good chance of paralysis and weaken.

Upon testing, the description of his Brave Burst is incorrect (save for the "Single target massive damage" part). His Brave Burst does not inflict Paralysis or Weaken, and instead acts as his Brave Burst in his 5-star form, casting Taunt on himself (a status buff we'll go over in the Super Brave Burst section), and upping his DEF by a large amount (the amount currently being unknown, but is likely around the 200% mark). Having a 450% damage modifier somewhat makes up for its single target nature... though only somewhat.

Super Brave Burst: [Cyclopean Rage] Attacks all enemies and casts taunt on self, massive boost on self DEF, boosts allies' ATK by 200% for 1 turn.

This is a really extreme SBB, but before we dig deeper, let's get some of the info out of the way. For starters, it hits 18 times, which is good, and unlike his BB, his Super Brave Burst is multi-target. It also has a 360% damage modifier, which isn't anything particularly noteworthy, though that isn't the reason why you'd be using this. The DEF buff is 210%, which is the single most highest buff for DEF in the game, but he only buffs himself. Given the nature of the Super Brave Burst, this isn't a problem, as we'll soon see. The ATK boost, contrary to the SBB's description, actually gives around 120% according to the datamine. Whether this is indeed the case or not, and whether Gumi will change the SBB description, the actual boost percentage, or both to reflect anything remains to be seen. In either case, he currently has the highest ATK buff in the game, beating out even Michele, if only by a very minimal 5%. However, this ATK buff does stack with his Leader Skill, allowing the squad to deal more damage.

Now "What is Taunt?", you might be asking yourself. Taunt is an interesting "buff". It's more of a status really; whether it's a positive or negative status depends on how it's being used. Taunt will make it so that all enemy attacks will focus solely on the one who is Taunting (Ultor, in this case). This does not, however, do anything for AOE attacks. On paper, it seems pretty weak, but it isn't until you delve into its uses when you really find value in it.

Again, his SBB makes him a "meat shield" for anything that isn't AOE. Given the large DEF boost, this will make him a tank. I'm not talking about a unit with high HP and DEF, like Altri or Oulu, I mean a "tank" tank, by an MMO RPG's strictest definition: Drawing attacks while buffing one's own defenses to allow the team to survive. This will make him quite valuable in Raids and Vortexes. However, not everything is peaches and cream, as even with the DEF buff, he will still take heavy damage from later content. It is here that pairing him with a mitigator is the key to Ultor's success, as he'll absorb all hits while the mitigated damage, plus his own DEF buff, equates to him taking very little (this also counts Spheres and Imps).

This makes him a prime candidate for the Drevas Sphere, as the HP and DEF boost (stats he should be focusing on) paired with status immunity will really make his tanking role all the more easier. If he's dual-Sphered, he can also equip a Malice Jewel and a Refined Gem, or anything that offers status immunity. However you equip him, he should be equipped with HP and/or DEF in mind as well as status immunity, though status shouldn't be too much of a worry if you're running Lunaris, Exvehl, Ulkina, etc. Keep in mind, that the taunt and DEF/ATK buffs only last 1 turn, so make sure you use it when it counts the most, unless you can sustain his SBB well enough, so don't expect him to be your go to ATK buffer.

Stats (Lord)

HP: 5920 + 750 = 6670
    ATK: 2710 + 300 = 3010
    DEF: 1820 + 300 = 2120
    REC: 1430 + 300 = 1730

Okay, first of all, HOLY S***, that ATK stat! Talk about an extreme stat distribution! He easily has the highest ATK out of any unit on the face of Brave Frontier. It's so high, in fact, that he can actually hit harder as a Guardian type than almost every unit in their Breaker types (Kajah being the only one who barely beats Ultor by an irrelevant 18 ATK points). The rest of his stats range from average to low. His HP is average, his DEF is a bit average, while his REC is low. Thankfully, his low REC is hardly a handicap with Spheres and Imps. He is the only tank unit that hits harder than most DPS units. Of course, this does not account for Brave Burst modifiers, etc., so he isn't the most powerful DPS nuke in the game (he's still really strong though).

Pros:

- Is the first unit to actually be the literal MMO definition of a tank.
    - Ridiculously high ATK.
    - Decent stat spread.
    - High damage on Brave Burst.
    - Amazing Leader Skill.
    - Has the highest ATK buff in the game (120%).

Cons:

- Single target Brave Burst.
    - Attack animation is difficult to Spark with.
    - Requires a Vortex event-exclusive unit to evolve to 6-stars.

Typing:

Anima/Guardian: I'm putting these two first equally. Anima is better than Guardian from a defensive standpoint, but Guardian is still good regardless. Not that you'd be using him for pure attacking more than for tanking, so the ATK drop from Guardian doesn't really hurt him... Seriously though, when he can hit harder than a Breaker Hogar as a Guardian, you really shouldn't be frowning if you managed to pull a Guardian Ultor.

Lord/Breaker: I ranked these two equally as well. Lord's stats is already decently spread, and goodness knows you don't want to hurt his survivability. Breaker, on the other hand, allows him to reach unholy numbers in ATK. It should be illegal for a 6-star unit to have this much ATK power, but what else would you expect from a Spartan... combined with a freakin' robot?! Here are some numbers to think about (assuming Breaker with maxed Imp bonuses):

- Malice Jewel will bring his ATK to 4170.
    - Wicked Blade will bring his ATK to 6415.

Enough said.

Oracle: You really don't want him to lose HP, as it will hurt his role as a tank more so than Breaker. Sure, he could appreciate a REC increase, but REC is the kind of stat that does not need to be high to be useful. A REC stat of around 1500 is enough to suffice.

Final Thoughts: It's pretty clear that just because a unit is Global-exclusive does not mean it's going to be less useful than those released in both JP and Global. On the contrary, if Ultor is any indication of the power that future Global-exclusive units will have, we can expect to see said units becoming top tier contenders. In Ultor's case, he gave us a taste of this with his niche (albeit a very good one). You may not find a use for him all of the time, but when you need him, expect him to do wonderful things for your squad, provided you also have units who can support him as much or more so as he can support them.

Last Week's Unit: Fiora and Ardin

http://forums.gumi.sg/forum/main-for...din-11-23-2014

Next Week's Unit: Orna
    http://forums.gumi.sg/forum/main-for...orna-12-7-2014
    Last edited by Claire Diviner; 12-06-2014, 09:27 PM.

T-T i got an oracle...

Comment

• Rune
      Rune commented
      Editing a comment
      Type changing frogs will be out over time!

• izan
      izan commented
      Editing a comment
      yea but there are so many units i have, that type i need to change....

Awesome write up as usual! Thumbs up! For me, personally i think he may be one of the best contender for my arena leader. Why? 50% att n def, stacking that with amanohabaken, that is gonna perform like any Five Light Spirit leaders, adding in crit rate as well, you'll raise your total crit rate to [10% Base + 15% LS + 20% amanohabaken] 45%! And not to mention about the bonus damage dealt to weakness elemental. Just typing this analysis makes me even more excited heheh
    Last edited by lionelle; 11-30-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Claire Diviner
      Claire Diviner commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh, didn't think of that. Good eye!

• lionelle
      lionelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahah, his leader skill is the particular reason why i decided to summon him. I read about it on subreddit and instantly gave me this idea of using him as my arena leader. It's gonna make my team hit like a truck and survive the first round of attack for sure.
      Last edited by lionelle; 11-30-2014, 11:25 AM.

I don't have an Ultor but if Trial Rerun is released I hope his Taunt ability is working properly on Maxwell/Grah/Karl and eventually Cardes..

Anima will be the best type for him and add additional HP spheres and Ishirs Guise maybe he can tank Maxwell's fixed damage

Comment

• izan
      izan commented
      Editing a comment
      lolz if he taunt maxwell during his ss turn, he's going to die....ss ignore def...

• Faustius
      Faustius commented
      Editing a comment
      well yeah he will be a let down for some fixed damage and ignore def units.

but I'm kinda aware that his taunt ability might be useful on Trial 04 Fight where zebra can 1 hit any units..

put Angel Idol on Ultor then watch zebra use his deadly 1 hit skill on him while on Angel Idol.

• izan
      izan commented
      Editing a comment
      hope it work on the bosses then haha

Originally posted by Faustius View Post
    I don't have an Ultor but if Trial Rerun is released I hope his Taunt ability is working properly on Maxwell/Grah/Karl and eventually Cardes.. Anima will be the best type for him and add additional HP spheres and Ishirs Guise maybe he can tank Maxwell's fixed damage
    Given that Maxwell casts Destiny twice in one turn after she reaches a certain HP threshold, that will equate to 28,000 damage (14,000 with mitigation), so he's definitely not recommended for Trial 003.
    Last edited by Claire Diviner; 11-30-2014, 06:31 AM.

Comment

So is this unit gonna be good once it is combined with the one in the dungeon?

Comment

Claire, did you by any chance read and accepted my suggestion to make Ultor your unit of the week? "tonight we dine in hell" is it gladiator? no, no it's 300 right?

I have 2 silly yet critical questions. First on Ultor's LS, (50% att & def along with weak element and crit) is it just for ultor or for the entire team? I can't really figure out the wording, and my understanding of it change from time to time. My opinion has swayed back and forth from "somewhat cool" to "super awesome".

Second, on Ultor's SBB 1 turn ATK buff. Is it for the same turn as when the SBB is cast, or the next turn? Take Darvanshel n Oulu 1/2 damage for example, we can be sure it's on the enemy turn that comes after our turn, so no ambiguity there, but how about this one?

Comment

• Claire Diviner
          Claire Diviner commented
          Editing a comment
          I had read your request before I had just about to start making the thread, after I had already decided on Ultor. lol

Yes, I got that quote from the movie, "300", since he's a Spartan and what not. I was gonna go "Ares! Destroy my enemies, and my life is yours!" from "God of War", or "You will not live to see the end of this day!" from "God of War III", but I figured those quotes would be more esoteric.

To answer your questions:

1: Yes, his LS affects all squad units, as does all other Leader Skills, unless a specific element is specified.

2: The ATK buff activates during the same turn his SBB is cast and lasts until your next turn.

• MPM1
          MPM1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I see, so the LS is super awesome, and his SBB should be launched early to get better impact. thanks.

Originally posted by Nina Bianca View Post
        If i'm not reading it wrongly, Cyclaw, the unit that is capturable from the dungeon has no 6* form because he is a unit material required to evolve Ultor to his 6* form. Apart from that, unless Cyclaw's STBB has a high damage multipler, Ultor 6* definitely is much better in terms of Leader Skill and BB/SBB.

Conclusion, I wont use Cyclaw as an sub-unit.
        Last edited by lionelle; 11-30-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina Bianca View Post
          His 6-star form is technically a combination of Ultor and Cyclaw, since, as Iionelle pointed out, Cyclaw's 5-star evo is used as material for Ultor's 6-star. So to answer your question, yes, Ultor is good in his 6-star evolution.

Comment

There is no confirmation yet but i think the description for Ultor 6* Brave Burst maybe wrong, his bb should still do taunt and self defense boost like his 5* form. My guess is the current description is likely to be Cyclaw's 5* BB description.

Edit: I've tried Ultor 6* bb myself (and you can see the taunt above Ultor)

Last edited by lionelle; 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Regarding your SBB information yeah I found out after some testing that the 200% atk buff isn't consistent and it's usually around 110 - 120 also having double Ultor leaders is so fun to use the 100% atk and def are crazy with a 30% chance for crits hahaha and with Duel-SGX 60% so a total of 90% crits?!?!! so long as it is able to stack with the leader skills.

This is without spheres too that increase crit rates, even with one Ultor leader 15% and Maxwell lead combo with a Duel-SGX assuming they stack that is still a 75% chance of critical hits with Maxwell's crit damage boost
              Last edited by Unwritten; 11-30-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• lionelle
                lionelle commented
                Editing a comment
                FYI critical rates are capped at 70% for all units. Even if the total added amount equals to 90% crits, it will be reduced to 70%. In this case, owning Duelsgx is optional now because max cap for crits can be achieved with just 40% crits buff.

However, in some cases, having Duelsgx is still better because you can save up your sphere slot for critical rate and equip yourself with other sphere (i.e Steeple Rose, etc)

• Unwritten
                Unwritten commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks lionelle for the information, haha that 90% crit chance was just a hypothetical thing anyway and yeah that would mean having Kuda on a team with Ultor would be great but I'm guessing their atk buffs would cancel out each others?

Just as a reminder, the OP is subject to editing when or if more info becomes available regarding his Brave Burst/Super Brave Burst.

Comment

• Panda
                Panda commented
                Editing a comment
                Great write up Claire and those stats *o* thank god was able to get an Anima one \o/

Claire is awesome as always.Great Job Gumi keep it up! lets hope Ultor gives 200% atk buffs since it only last 1 turn.

Comment

I wonder why his 5* BB is AOE and casts taunt, while his 6* BB is single target and doesn't cast taunt... Is this Cyclaw's doing?? Dam it, Cyclaw!

Comment

• Claire Diviner
                  Claire Diviner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tests have shown that his BB does indeed cast Taunt. I will update the OP later on to detail this.

• Vivian
                  Vivian commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, all these mistakes in the description... Gumi should really fix it. It's so misleading!

• Panda
                  Panda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very misleading indeed @_@

I wonder if Gumi is even aware of these mistakes in the descriptions.. Has anyone reported this to support and/or talk to an admin/mod about this?

Comment

• Claire Diviner
                  Claire Diviner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Given this analysis, Ushi's review, and player confusion on the Facebook page, I'm sure Gumi is aware of the issue.

• Panda
                  Panda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hopefully they are and do find a fix for it
              Working...
              X
              CLICK HERE!