X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit of the Week: Fiora and Ardin - 11/23/2014

Unit of the Week
    Fiora

Overview: Today's "Unit of the Week" analysis will be a bit different. This will be done purely out of request from a forum member, since I normally only review a unit who has their 6-star evolution available. However, it has come to my attention that some players, especially within the Facebook community believe both Fiora and Ardin to be useless. Why that is appears to be based off these units' Super Brave Bursts and the ATK Down status they inflict.

It is for that reason I will do a double analysis, reviewing both units in question and even explain why ATK Down is a far more useful status than many of the naysayers believe it to be. Plus, Thanksgiving is around the corner in the U.S., so why not celebrate a surplus of food for dinner with a surplus of a unit review, no?

Leader Skill: [Epidemic God Usurpation] Chance of inflicting a random status ailment when attacking & chance of absorbing little HP when attacking.

She has one of those Leader Skills that allow the squad to inflict a random status ailment from simply attacking, which is always useful, if situational. Like Nalmika, the chances of inflicting a status is rather low for an individual target:

Poison: 7%
    Sick: 10%
    Injury: 10%
    Weak: 10%
    Paralyze: 7%
    Curse: 7%

Not the highest of numbers, but given that all six members of your squad (including your Friend) will be attacking, it does increase the odds in that manner. Better still, her Leader Skill stacks with other similar Leader Skills (whether it's Vishra, Nalmika, or another Fiora), which makes her Leader Skill surprisingly useful for when you really need to keep status inflicted outside of the use of BBs/SBBs alone. In practice, however, you're probably better off simply using a dedicated status inducer, such as Nalmika, Sermira, or even Lemia if it comes down to that.

She also offers a 50% chance to absorb HP, which is pretty nifty, since 50% isn't a bad thing. However, the HP absorbed equates to 3-8% which means she's not even a pseudo healer by any stretch of the imagination. It's still a nice little bonus if nothing else.

Normal Attack: 10 hits.

She has the fairly standard 10-hit normal attack. Her BC drop check sits at an average 20, which isn't bad. Her attack animation, however, isn't very good. There's a pause between hits when she's flipping over the enemy, making it difficult to Spark with her... but hell, if she doesn't look sexy when attacking.

Brave Burst: [Flames of Divine Destruction] 11 combo powerful Fire attack on all enemies & adds Fire and Thunder element to all allies' attack for 3 turns.

Her Brave Burst is not bad at all. 250% damage modifier with the ability to add both Fire and Thunder to your squad. This combines the Fire utility of Michele with the ability to allow mono-Fire squads to not be walled by water enemies with the Thunder utility of Dia, combining the best of both worlds. Sadly, her attack animation also translates to her Brave Burst, making Sparking a pain.

Super Brave Burst: [Scarlet Kiss] 16 combo powerful Fire attack on all enemies & adds Fire and Thunder element to all allies' attack for 3 turns & chance of reducing enemy attack for 1 turn.

Though not quite the exact wording (as of writing this review, I'm basing all translations off of their JP release and will edit accordingly when they're released in Global), her Super Brave Burst essentially does what her normal Brave Burst accomplishes with a few differences:

- Her SBB is more powerful with a 400% damage modifier.
    - Unlike her BB, she inflicts damage throughout her attack animation, which saves her from otherwise becoming a terrible Sparking unit.
    - She has a chance of inflicting a new status ailment.

The status ailment in question has no official term at the moment, but for now, let's just call it "ATK Down". What exactly is ATK Down? It's an interesting status that functions in very much the same way Injury does. The difference, however, is that there are currently no enemies (including even Trial bosses) who are resistant or immune to it. To balance its power, it has a fairly low proc rate of 30% and lasts just 1 turn, but using this alongside damage mitigation can prove to be very important in certain later content, especially the Palmyna Heroes Chronicle Vortex.

Like Injury, ATK Down will cut the ATK, and by extension, normal attack damage by half, which means assuming you have mitigation active, even units as fragile as trinkets in a china shop (looking at you, Zebra) will merely be tickled by even the most powerful of hits. It's very important to remember, however, that this doesn't do much for their BB attacks. While it does reduce the damage taken from said attacks, the effects of ATK Down is additive, so a BB with a 400% damage modifier will be reduced to 350%, which can still hurt depending on the enemy Brave Burst. Furthermore, this does not affect fixed damage attacks, such as the 14,000 damage inflicted by Maxwell's Destiny, so keep that in mind as well.

Stats (Lord):

HP: 6132 + 750 = 6882
    ATK: 2141 + 300 = 2441
    DEF: 1722 + 300 = 2022
    REC: 2135 + 300 = 2435

Her stat spread isn't too bad, though she could definitely do with more DEF, as 1700 is considered below average in today's content. Her Imp bonus goes a way to help patch it up, but all in all, her DEF is still a bit on the lower end. The rest of her stats aren't bad at all, breaking 6100 for HP and 2100 for ATK and REC, she's overall great statistically. Other than average Imp bonuses, there's not much to complain about.

Pros:

- Has a good status-inducing Leader Skill.
    - Adds both Fire and Thunder to the attack of all allies.
    - Good stats overall.
    - Can inflict ATK Down.
    - Though purely aesthetic, her attack animation is just sexy.

Cons:

- Below average DEF.
    - HP absorption in her Leader Skill is wholly useless.
    - Attack animation for normal attack and Brave Burst is hard to Spark with.
    - ATK Down has a fairly low proc rate of 30%

Typing:

Anima:
    Her HP is already good, so why not make it even better? She has more than enough REC to spare after all.

Lord: While her defensive spread isn't very impressive, it would be a shame to lower such a good ATK stat, which is why I rank Lord above Guardian.

Guardian/Breaker: They're both on par. Guardian helps patch up her below average DEF, but at the cost of some ATK. Breaker further boosts her ATK, but brings her DEF to paper thin levels. It does help her kill things faster though, especially in crit squads.

Oracle: She doesn't like her HP being lowered, especially with her DEF as shaky as it already is. 2400 REC is way too much. However, the bright side is that even as an Oracle, her HP with full Imp bonuses reaches about 6585, which is only about a 297 HP difference from other types not named "Anima", which isn't too significant in the grand scheme of things, so even Oracle is valuable. If anything, it makes a single Cure go a hell of a long way.
    Last edited by Claire Diviner; 11-22-2014, 10:14 PM.

Unit of the Week
    Ardin

Leader Skill: [Five Light's Hellion] 50% boost to ATK power of all Units when 5 elements or more are present & reduction in BB gauge required for BB.

Ardin's Leader Skill is one of the common Rainbow squad Leader Skills that buffs ATK by 50%, which as we know by now is always nice. To top if off, he provides a 15% reduction in BC fill requirement for the squad's BBs/SBBs in a similar fashion as Phee and Zellha. While his Leader Skill is overshadowed by the likes of Maxwell for damage dealing and Elza for BB spam, his Leader Skill is still useful when needed, especially if your Rainbow squad requires a little bit of both sides of the spectrum.

Normal Attack: 12 hits.

A pretty decent hit count with a good BC drop rate of 24, as well as a cool attack animation. What's not to love?

Brave Burst: [Fallen Leaves] 16 combo powerful Dark attack on all enemies & adds Light and Dark element to all allies' attack for 3 turns.

Ardin's Brave Burst is like a 2.0 upgrade from Grahdens' Brave Burst, boasting slightly higher damage at 240% and adding both Light and Dark elements to the squad's attack for 3 turns as opposed to Grahdens' 2 turns. Add 16 hits to all of that, and you have yourself a Brave Burst that Grahdens wishes he could have.

Super Brave Burst: [Camellia Blossom] 18 combo powerful Dark attack on all enemies & adds Light and Dark element to all allies' attack for 3 turns & chance of reducing enemy attack for 1 turn.

Just like Fiora, his SBB is a more powerful variant of his BB, with a 400% damage modifier and the ability to inflict ATK Down on all enemies. The 18 hits are also nice. Between Ardin and Fiora, who to use really depends on what you need. If you need to deal more damage to Earth and/or Water enemies, Fiora is your girl. Having difficulty with Light and Dark enemies? Ardin's your man. Of course, there's nothing wrong with running both, as it not only means even more elemental coverage, but also raises the chances of inflicting ATK Down on the enemy party.

Stats (Lord):

HP: 6211 + 750 = 6961
    ATK: 2300 + 300 = 2600
    DEF: 1843 + 300 = 2143
    REC: 1755 + 300 = 2055

His stats aren't shabby. His HP breaks 6200, which is really good, and his ATK is amazingly high at 2300. Clearly, his stat spread is catered more to offense as is evident by his 1800 DEF and 1750 REC. His Imp bonuses matches Fiora's, meaning his HP becomes even better and his ATK reaches pretty beefy levels. His DEF and REC remain average throughout, but they're still good enough for later content regardless.

Pros:

- Offers Light and Dark attribute buffs.
    - Good attack animation.
    - Meaty ATK stat.
    - Can inflict ATK Down.
    - Good Rainbow Leader Skill.

Cons:

- DEF and REC are average.
    - ATK Down has a fairly low proc rate of 30%.

Typing:

Anima:
    Of course more HP is never a bad thing. The REC drop is inconsequential, as Imp bonuses helps to patch up his otherwise shaky REC.

Lord/Guardian/Breaker: They're all viable. Lord's stat spread is fine on its own. Guardian ups DEF at the cost of some ATK. The ATK drop isn't too bad given how high it is, though it does hamper the one thing he does very well. On the plus side, if you care only for his support, then Guardian is a good way to go. Breaker just to YOLO your way to victory.

Oracle: For the same reason as Fiora. The difference is that Ardin's HP is greater, so he doesn't suffer as much of a drop, and because his REC is only average, he actually benefits from this type more so than Fiora.

Final Thoughts: Fiora and Ardin are interesting units. They give fantastic elemental attributes, and their ability to inflict ATK Down (an ability currently unique to only them) is very valuable in later content. Some people were weirdly quick to judge them harshly before even knowing the true use and significance of this new status, and it probably can be attributed to the 30% proc rate and the fact that it only lasts just 1 turn. Still, when it does proc, it becomes a godsend when used alongside mitigation. While not exactly required for later content, Fiora and Ardin will still become very important units for battles where their ATK Down status is most helpful. Hopefully, the whole of the Facebook community can learn to appreciate these two units, because when things, like the Palmyna Heroes Vortex, Cardes Trial, and the bonus dungeon in the Vriksha Region are released, there will be quite a few top players looking toward these units to help make these battles more bearable. Congratulations to those who managed to Rare Summon one or the other. Double congrats to those who Rare Summoned either both of them and/or more than one of each.

Last Week's Unit: Lunaris

http://forums.gumi.sg/forum/main-for...ris-11-16-2014

Next Week's Unit: Ultor
    http://forums.gumi.sg/forum/main-for...tor-11-30-2014
    Last edited by Claire Diviner; 12-06-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Addled
      Addled commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I would definitely stick to Adrin, personally for me, the fact that it's a CHANCE to inflict ATK serves purpose in the future for Raid Battles

The time u spend on these are just wow. It's definitely great to have! Good job once again! And I should probably work on what I said I would work on a while ago...

Comment

I think the 2 units are very very good. I'm sorry if other players don't see there worth...however trust me, I know how good the both of them are. Once again you have done an Awesome job on these reviews. Great job & plz keep up the good work.

Comment

Great job once again. Can't wait for your next week review. Would be nice if you could do sphere review too.

Comment

I will totally gem for Fiora

Comment

Originally posted by yunne84 View Post
            Great job once again. Can't wait for your next week review. Would be nice if you could do sphere review too.
            I actually was toying around with the idea of doing Sphere reviews. Maybe when I'm in a prepared enough state of mind of how I will format such a review structure will I attempt a Sphere review series.

Comment

• yunne84
              yunne84 commented
              Editing a comment
              Doeettt, I will get you more meat hehehe.

• Claire Diviner
              Claire Diviner commented
              Editing a comment
              You had me at "more meat". lol

• MPM1
              MPM1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Claire, that's a great idea!!!

Great job Claire. I have fiora but if I have to choose, I'll go with ardin. I mean, wow, reduce BB gauge required by 15% and BB/SBB have more hits. But claire is right, it all depend on the enemy's element.

NB: correct me if i'm wrong, Zellha LS provides 20% reduction in BB gauge, right? It's only natural too, that Ardin doesn't have the same level of reduction, since he has other ability.

Comment

• Claire Diviner
              Claire Diviner commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct. While Ardin's LS is similar to the likes of Phee and Zellha, it's not nearly as potent, though this could be in an attempt to balance the fact that he has an ATK buffing LS on top of that for Rainbow squads.

• MPM1
              MPM1 commented
              Editing a comment
              yup, the difference is not much though, that I would prefer ardin instead of zellha or phee.

for those wondering, assume a unit needs 20 BCs to fill BB gauge, with ardin's 15% reduction that becomes 17 BCs, while with zellha's 20% reduction that becomes 16 BCs. The difference I think is too small, and I'd rather have that 50% attack bonus. (In comparison, ares' excelsior would need 14 BCs.)

Very nice to have a preemptive review (preview) for the unit of the week. Now to summon all 6 of that set next time it rolls around so I have all but Darvan of the buffer units. Sigh 200 gem purchase in my future. The horror.

Comment

I have Fiora. I want Ardin now after reading this. Did you know all of the units you did an analysis on I ended up evolving them to 6*? Before I had Dilma and Lucina just lying around as 4*. I never bothered to invest in them 'til I read your analysis. I used to fuse my Lunaris' away, but decided to invest in my latest one. You're really good at convincing people.

Comment

• MPM1
                MPM1 commented
                Editing a comment
                lol, her review had the same effect for my Dilma. For Lucina, I'm not too hot about her, and although I would raise her, I choose as a priority right now : karl (haven't maxed), phee, and arius. I don't have Lunaris and would definitely raise her if I ever got one.

• yunne84
                yunne84 commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly the same for me for Lucina, Dilma and Lunaris.

• 4thYellowFlash
                4thYellowFlash commented
                Editing a comment
                Lunaris is too good to Fuse away. I'm happy to see you saved 1 of them.

OMG Fiora is beautiful

Comment

All along, I thought Fiora is a granny DX

Comment

• Unwritten
                  Unwritten commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hermit Talos's granddaughter maybe?? XD

• cheachan15
                  cheachan15 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. She's a hawtie

Expected nothing less, another informative review as always. Your assessment on the typing is always a very interesting read and the in depth explanation on "ATK Down" was a very useful feature to add in the review. Since of course these 2 units are currently the only ones who can inflict this unique status ailment.

I myself have an Ardin which I am very happy about but I still want to have a try at getting Fiora again.

Comment

After taking a peek at the Lunaris review I summon my first Lunaris when visiting the RS gate(hoping this will get me the same side effect when their 6* is up. lol).

Comment

i like your review
                    claire what unit next week??
                    i hope zelnite because i just summoned it and i love it

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    CLICK HERE!